​By Laura Probert

Have you noticed the onslaught of brave souls reaching out to heal the world; the life coaches,
healers, best-self entrepreneurs flooding the web with their love and light, yearning to make a difference with their lives by helping you with yours? This is the decade of the lightworker, and if you’ve never heard that term before, I’m here to wake you up to the shift taking place…and to the fact that you’re probably one of us.

I started my career as a healer in the field of physical therapy over twenty years ago. I was no more comfortable with the term lightworker than I was uttering “namaste” at the end of my yoga class, or fully embracing the Om with full gusto. I was afraid people would think I was one of those woo-woo weirdos.

I also couldn’t hold the gaze of my friends, family or acquaintances…I hadn’t fully realized the light inside of me. I turned my eyes to the floor in a mixture of shyness and shame, making people think I was distracted, bored, or uninterested in them. I was drowning in unworthiness.

I gave my power away to thoughts and people of my past, and let those moments of humiliation define me…until I woke up one day (over a couple decades) and understood that the purpose for all of it was to show others the way to the light that is the essence and force of love that breathes us all alive.

Lightworkers may have studied consciousness, practiced awareness and are feeling the tug of purpose on their heart because they’re paying attention to the feelings and aren’t willing to not do anything about it anymore. Being resigned to a life that’s content isn’t good enough. Their fire burns so hot it’s forcing them to dance.

This dance is important. It’s the way we’ll save the animals, and the environment, and ourselves. It’s the way we’ll experience more love and joy. It’s the way we’ll get important things done and create a planet we’re happy to leave to our children. The dance matters.

I’m wondering if you’re nodding now and entertaining the idea that maybe you’re a lightworker too. Does spreading authentic love around to help others on their journey light your fire?

Then you’re a lightworker. You don’t have to wonder anymore.

So now that you know…what are you going to do about it? Part of taking on this label means you understand the responsibility you have to shine your light. Time to be brave. Time to speak up. Time to say what you’re here to say. Scary, isn’t it?

But that’s the path…it’s not for sissies. It’s not woo-woo. It’s divine. It’s what you were born for.

And if you’re not sure, then go back to sleep and make your coffee, and check off your to-do lists and see what happens in the middle of your chest when you ignore the call.

If you were born a lightworker you’ll begin to ache for something more, something deeper, something more authentic and something more soul- nourishing than the regular, old, conditioned, tight routine you’ve been surviving in.

That ache will move you, if you let it. Maybe you’ll be inspired to have different conversations, or find a tribe that understands what benefit oracle cards have. Maybe you’ll have an idea for a new business that helps people write copy for their healing practice, or notice the throat chakra symbol tattooed on the forearm of the gal ringing you up at Starbucks.

In other words, if you’re a lightworker you are waking up to all the magic around you. It’s chasing you down actually. Don’t be afraid. You’re not a weirdo. You are a divine being of light and love and exactly what this world needs more of. Embrace it. Be brave. Shine your light.

It’s time to step up. If you recognize the desire inside of you, you have a responsibility to your soul. Let the doubt and fears of not being good enough play second fiddle. Don’t attach yourself to how this should look in order to make a difference. Start with your neighbor, the bus driver, your secretary…and slowly build your tribe.

We’ve all been called. Whether or not you heed that call is up to you. But if you know the truth, you feel it in your bones, you wake up each day wondering how you’ll serve, and the fire of inspiration is what you eat for breakfast – don’t let that go to waste.

We need you on the team.

Join me in the comments – tell me when you knew you were a lightworker?

Laura Probert, MPT is a licensed, holistic physical therapist, published author, poet, artist, awareness coach and second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. She’s the author of Living, Healing and Taekwondo and the Warrior Journal series. She’s a contributor for The Huffington Post, Wild Sister Magazine, MindBodyGreen, The Wellness Universe, Tiny Buddha, among others. Find her Writing for Warrior Healing workshops and programs at www.LauraProbert.com and on Facebook
Showing 33 comments
  • Sylvia

Great one! ENjoyed your tell it like it is

• Anonymous

Thank you so much!

• Janet

Love the honest Laura, great piece, very stimulating for want of a better word. Thanks!

• Laura

Thanks so much Janet!

• Vicky

We all have different spiritual views and what that spiritual path means but all that aside I love the humanness thanks x

• Laura

For sure Vicky – this is only one path…

• R. Walters

Definitely a modern perspective. Valid points about a lightworker path being something more and more experiencing in different ways. Great to get these thoughts out there for people to thinkg about.

• Laura

Thank you R. – exactly why I wrote it!

• Jeff

Thanks for sharing Laura!

• Rachel

I wouldn’t ssay lightworkers are warrior souls. You may be a warrior type soul which is great, the gift you’ve come to bring, but a lightworker doesn’t need to have that stance – TRUTH , yes, but not sure about the warrior part.
    Softness can be very STRONG, though I’m sure you agree.
    We’re all going up the mountain on different paths :) great to have connected with this.

• Laura

Yes, for sure, softness, vulnerability – that is what I call a warrior soul – it’s just my term…there are many, many ways to describe it. Thank you.

• Michelle

I knew I was a lightworker partly from experiences of not fitting in when I was younger, and that not fitting in led me to within, and that’s where I found the light. That’s in all of us. And of course we all fit in! And we are all divine beings. For me lightworker means livign that divinity more consciously I guess.
    Thanks Laura!

• Laura

Oh, lovely Michelle – thank you for reading!

• PK

I like how you bring this into everyday life and situations. Feels like a big topic to share about. Be nice to live

• Laura

Thank you PK, that was my reason for writing it – just to give people a way to think about it… Thanks for reading!

• Anonymous

Thanks!

• Jennifer

Love the worthlessness share. I definitely had that, perhaps still do, feeling uncomfortable and unspiritual and unworthy, spiritual situations bringing up that unworthiness to heal, which was all my stuff.
    Love and self-acceptance = freedom

• Laura

Oh, my – for sure!!! And freedom is surely the thing! Have you read The Motivation Manifesto yet? Thanks for reading Jennifer!

• Ned

I used to see things that weren’t there as a child. I wasn’t crazy, I was just sensitive!
    I think that’s the case with many children. That’s when I knew, whtout knowing if you know what i mean :)

• Laura

Yes Ned!!!! And it’s something we can help our children nurture! Oh my, so important! Thanks for reading!

• Lorna

I love hearing people’s stories about their own path in this area. Each valid and unique. FOr me a path of healing and alternative therapies opened me to a spiritual path and the Light within and the divine light we are. It’s all energy and light. Much love, Lorna

• Laura

Yes Lorna! Thank you so much for reading and for your comment!

• Richard

An engaging read! Thanks Laura

• Cathy

Beautiful. Keep wearing your heart on your sleeve. xo

• Anonymous

I want to be a life coach so bad it’s killing me!! I don’t have the funds to even get started to be certified!! As soon as I do that’s where and what I will be doing! Mind body spirit and much unconditional love!! Working with people from my heart is so important to me. I trully can’t wait to be able to get started. It is in my heart fully and no doubts about it! That is when I will be totally fulfilled when I am doing work to really help others on a bigger scale.

• Shelle

Lovely share, thanks Laura!

• JJ

We’re all in it together :)

• carl smith

Thank you so much , I truly needed to hear that. I know for me its the being brave and the knowing I can be happy, loved and successful that is holding me back hense the universal kicks are getting bigger all the time. I truly want to surrender to the divine and be guided I just wish it was that easy, I suppose that’s where the brave bit comes In !x

• Laura

Thank you Carl. Yes, for me, that is where the brave bit comes in, over and over again – it’s become a practice, to be committed to courage. Thanks for reading.

• Michele McShane

Over the last few years, the discourse about mindfulness, lightwork, purpose, meaning, energy work, has been surfacing on an increasing level in the most unexpected places. And, the conceptual language is becoming harmonized as well. The sine waves seem to be syncing. I’ve kept this higher energy work at bay, off to the side, eyed it like a voter registration reminder sitting under a pile of papers, and not sure what difference it would make anyway. Over the past few months, a “bell” rang—specific, clear and unusually detailed—during meditation. It was a call that couldn’t be ignored. I’m on my way. It feels right as things have unfolded with incredible ease (once I stopped resisting). Imagine that.

• Laura

Oh my Michele!!! Gosh I love your bit about the voter registration thing! LOL It will continue to pop up, until we can’t ignore it anymore – and you can’t ignore it because you are awake and alive to it! Thank you so much for reading!

• #ezvaar

May the truth shine brighter! The formula came to me. That’s all

• Eve R

Thank you so much for this. I have recently begun a journey of authenticity and brave vulnerability. I am now at a stage where I want to share that with others. Your words have helped me to understand that desire and encouraged me to take the first steps. X