By Hallie & Reya of Nibs & Greens
It’s summertime which means there are tons of delicious fruit in season! Seriously, though, every time we go grocery shopping, we have a hard time deciding which seasons fruits to buy. This week, we settled on a ton of cherries and, before we ate them all, we did a little experimenting and came up with these Raw Tahini Cherry Thumbprint Cookies!
The cherry-tahini combo is pretty spectacular. It’s like a new version of PB&J but slightly tart and a bit more on the savory side of sweet. We purposefully didn’t make these cookies super sweet, allowing the tart cherries to speak for themselves. And then when we snack on them midday, there’s less guilt involved;)
These cookies are all raw, but still have that buttery, creamy texture that lets you know you’re eating a cookie. Plus, the cherry filling contains chia seeds for an added healthy boost to your treat. These cookies are ideal for summer potlucks, kid-friendly desserts, and when it’s just too hot to turn on your oven!
2/3 cup fresh cherries, pitted
2 tsp. maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. chia seeds
Tahini Thumbprint Cookies
3/4 cup medjool dates, pitted
1 cup raw tahini, unsalted
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. mesquite powder
1/4 tsp. salt
- In your food processor, combine cherries, chia seeds, and maple syrup until cherries are broken down.
- Pour in a bowl or container and place in your fridge to thicken up.
Tahini Thumbprint Cookies
- Line a large plate with parchment paper.
- Place the dates in your food processor and process to form a date paste.
- Add remaining ingredients and process to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop (medium size works well), scoop 9-10 cookies onto the lined plate.
- Using your fingers, press down in the center of each cookie to form a circular indent where the cherry filling will go.
- Place cookies in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden.
- After at least 30 minutes, remove cookies and cherry filling from the fridge.
- Place a spoonful of the cherry filling into each cookie indent to fill (you may have leftover filling – great in place of jam!).
- Eat immediately and/or store in your fridge.
We’re Hallie & Reya, creators of Nibs & Greens. We share an immense passion for healthy eats and hard workouts. We created Nibs & Greens to share our recipes that we use to fuel our lives and satisfy our souls. All of our recipes are gluten-free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and based around whole foods. We believe in eating mindfully, sharing food with the ones you love, and always having fun in the kitchen! Visit us at www.nibsandgreens.com