By Hallie & Rae It’s summertime which means there are tons of delicious fruit in season! Seriously, though, every time we go grocery shopping, we have a hard time deciding which seasons fruits to buy. This week, we settled on a ton of cherries and, before we ate them all, we did a little experimenting and came up with these Raw Tahini Cherry Thumbprint Cookies!
The cherry-tahini combo is pretty spectacular. It’s like a new version of PB&J but slightly tart and a bit more on the savory side of sweet. We purposefully didn’t make these cookies super sweet, allowing the tart cherries to speak for themselves. And then when we snack on them midday, there’s less guilt involved;)
These cookies are all raw, but still have that buttery, creamy texture that lets you know you’re eating a cookie. Plus, the cherry filling contains chia seeds for an added healthy boost to your treat. These cookies are ideal for summer potlucks, kid-friendly desserts, and when it’s just too hot to turn on your oven!
2/3 cup fresh cherries, pitted
2 tsp. maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. chia seeds
Tahini Thumbprint Cookies
3/4 cup medjool dates, pitted
1 cup raw tahini, unsalted
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. mesquite powder
1/4 tsp. salt
- In your food processor, combine cherries, chia seeds, and maple syrup until cherries are broken down.
- Pour in a bowl or container and place in your fridge to thicken up.
Tahini Thumbprint Cookies
- Line a large plate with parchment paper.
- Place the dates in your food processor and process to form a date paste.
- Add remaining ingredients and process to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop (medium size works well), scoop 9-10 cookies onto the lined plate.
- Using your fingers, press down in the center of each cookie to form a circular indent where the cherry filling will go.
- Place cookies in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden.
- After at least 30 minutes, remove cookies and cherry filling from the fridge.
- Place a spoonful of the cherry filling into each cookie indent to fill (you may have leftover filling – great in place of jam!).
- Eat immediately and/or store in your fridge.
Hallie and Reya Tobias are the founders of Nibs & Greens where they create and distribute raw, vegan, and gluten-free treats and cakes to grocery stores and local businesses. They started Nibs & Greens in order to share their passion for healthy, delicious desserts with the community around them. Nibs & Greens functions as both a wholesale raw food business and healthy food blog, sharing plant-based, creative recipes of all sorts. Both Hallie and Reya graduated with a degree in Exercise Science and Nutrition and are fitness and health food fanatics. They believe in eating whole, plant-based foods to support body, mind, and soul, and that healthy desserts should always be a mindful indulgence. www.nibsandgreens.com