By Ksenia Avdulova of the Breakfast Criminals
I’ve recently been on a mission to reduce the amount of sugar I consume (including sugar from fruit!), and have been experimenting with turmeric smoothie recipes.
In the spirit of the Holiday season, here’s a creamy pumpkin twist on it.
Pumpkin Pie Turmeric Smoothie
*makes 1 serving
- 3 TBSP. chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée (you can also hack this recipe and use sweet potato in place of pumpkin – pureed or baked and chilled or frozen)
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen) + leave some for topping*
- 2 TBSP. Bestie Almond & Cashew Butter (or whatever brand choice)
- 1 tspn. turmeric (amazing anti-inflammatory superfood great for digestion)
- 1 tspn. pumpkin pie spice
(Any ingredients you can’t find at your local store, check out a health food store or buy online via Amazon, etc.)
1. Pour the almond milk over chia seeds in a bowl or jar, let it sit for at least 15 minutes so that the chia seeds expand (this way you won’t miss out on chia’s important nutritional benefits!)
2. Blend the almond milk and chia seed mixture with the rest of the ingredients until smooth. Optional: serve with cinnamon, walnuts, banana.
*if you’re on a reduced sugar diet, try making this smoothie with less or no banana, OR swap banana for 1/2 teaspoon honey.
Breakfast Criminals is a movement that stemmed from Ksenia Avdulova’s personal passion for delicious breakfasts and superfood living. An avid meditator, certified Strala yoga guide, Ksenia is on a mission to inspire everyone to start their day with love, one acai bowl at a time. Breakfast Criminals retreats, workshops and recipes have been featured by Harper’s Bazaar, Cameron Diaz’ The Body Book, Shape, Self Magazine, Well+Good, Refinery29 and MindBodyGreen. Connect with Ksenia on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. www.BreakfastCriminals.com