By Jessica Espinoza (www.jessicaespinoza.com)
I love this recipe any time of year (but then again, I love all things apple!). Sweet and tangy apples are paired with a creamy coconut in a small bite that is perfect for dessert or snacking. Adults and kids, big and little, are sure to enjoy this recipe!
- 1 large apple (your choice of variety, I personally like Gala and Braeburn)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil for cooking the apples
- 3/4 cup coconut butter/manna, softened (this is finely ground up coconut meat, similar to a nut butter)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp. honey or maple syrup (to make sugar free, you can use stevia)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Finely chop your apple (you could also shred it if you wanted).
- Heat your coconut oil over medium heat and add the apple and walnuts.
- Cook until the apple starts to soften.
- Turn off the burner and add the coconut butter, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, sweetener, apple pie spice, vanilla, and sea salt, and stir until combined.
- Spoon into whatever container you like. Mini muffin tins / cups work great. You could also use regular muffin cups or even spread the mixture into a pan and then just cut it into chunks later.
- Stick the mixture in the fridge to cool. If you’re in a hurry, like I usually am, you can pop them in the freezer.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. They are delicious both ways, but I find that the flavors are much richer when allowed to warm up a tad. They won’t completely melt, but they will get pretty soft.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. If left at room temperature more than a couple hours they can get pretty soft and mushy.
Jessica Espinoza is a heart-centered Nutritional Therapist and Mind Body Nutrition Coach, as well as the founder of the popular Delicious Obsessions website. She is dedicated to helping women heal their relationships with food and body so they can finally find the peace, freedom, and energy they need to live bigger and serve the world at a higher level. She loves all things real food, yoga, the outdoors, family, and her sweet pups. You can always find her latest musings on JessicaEspinoza.com and DeliciousObsessions.com.